The government of india had recently made it compulsory to link the Aadhaar with the PAN for filing of Income Tax returns From July 1.
The government has also made quoting of the 12-digit biometric Aadhaar or the enrolment ID mandatory at the time of application of PAN.
To keep a check on tax evasion using multiple PAN cards, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley amended the tax proposals in the Finance Bill for 2017-18 and made Aadhaar mandatory for the filing of income tax returns and also called for linking of PAN with Aadhaar.
Here’s Step to link your Aadhaar number with PAN:
Through the Income Tax Website
- Just go to incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on the link on the left pane – Link Aadhaar
- Provide PAN, Aadhaar no. and ENTER NAME EXACTLY AS GIVEN IN AADHAAR CARD (avoid spelling mistakes) and submit. After verification from UIDAI which is the government website for Aadhaar, the linking will be confirmed.
- On logging in to the site, a pop up window will appear prompting you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card. If you don’t see the popup, go to blue tab on the top bar named ‘Profile Settings’ and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Details such as name, date of birth and gender will already be mentioned as per the details submitted at the time of registration on the e-Filing portal. Verify the details on screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar card.
- If the details match, enter your Aadhaar card number and captcha code and click on the “Link now” button.
- A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN card.
Link it via SMS?
• An SMS should be sent from your registered mobile number to 567678 or 56161 in the following format.
Example: UIDPAN 123456789012 ABCDE1234F
Steps to Check if Aadhar Card and PAN Card are Linked
- Go to the official website of the Income Tax Department.
- Enter your credentials – user ID, password, date of birth and captcha.
Under ‘Profile Setting’ select ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- If your Aadhaar is linked with your PAN, then the display on the page will mention the same.
- The benefit of linking Aadhaar and PAN in the income tax e-filing portal is to eliminate the necessity of furnishing your Income Tax acknowledgment while filing for returns. Since the tax department inspects every claim very sternly, hence, tax consultants at All India ITR recommend e-filing for returns in advance, before the due date to avoid errors in your claim.